CASTING: Faris Who Talks To Rats, a fantasy comedy adventure to be presented at the 2018 Ottawa Fringe Festival.
Faris Who Talks To Rats is the story of a young woman, disillusioned with the world, who lands herself in a secret realm of magic as the only hope to stop a Dark Fairy from stealing the spark of imagination from humankind.
A little bit Disney, a little bit Harry Potter, a little bit Shakespeare, Faris Who Talks To Rats is a fairy tale (literally) for grown-ups, complete with magic and mischief and swashbuckling and puppets.
All auditions will take place mid/late afternoon on Saturday, March 3rd (with option to self-tape if unavailable and additional consideration for actors whose work we know). Specific time requests are permitted but not guaranteed. Auditioners will be asked to present an under three minute monologue of their choosing as well as sides supplied one week in advance of auditions. Audition will be recorded to video for reference.
TO APPLY: Read the full listing below and fill out the form here: AUDITION FORM
ABOUT THE CASTING:
FARIS (human, female, 18-27 yrs) :: Works the morning shift at a busy coffee shop. By choice. Loves her blankets. Dislikes leaving the house. Talks to rats, which comes as a surprise to both of them. Is Faris ready to let a little adventure into her life?
– Idols include: Frank Lloyd Wright. Alan Alda. Her mom.
PUCK (fairy, 18+ yrs) :: Mischievous, tricksy fairy up to no good. Nearly 1,000 years of toil and trouble has left her a titch crazy. A lot crazy, we meant to say a lot.
– Idols include: William Shakespeare, Ashton Kutcher. Beyonce.
CECIL (fairy, male, 18-34 yrs) :: Exiled caretaker of the Fae, banished to earth two hundred years ago. Has consumed an unhealthy amount of pop culture since.
– Idols include: Hugh Jackman. Captain America. Harry Blackstone Sr.
LENOSTRA (fairy, female, 18-34 yrs) :: Caretaker of the Fae, with ambitions and designs to usurp all fairy magic to become a Dark God. Or is that fake news and bad PR?
– Idols include: Galadriel (under influence of the one ring). Queen Elizabeth I of England. Maleficent.
BASILIC and TODD and ABOMINATION (ogre / human / unclassified, 24-39yrs) :: Three characters in one! Basilic the Brute is sworn guardian to the slumbering fairy, Todd is the wannabe hipster morning supervisor of a busy coffee shop, Abomination is an unspeakable horror.
– Idols include: Arnold Schwarzenegger (Basilic & Abomination), Betty White (Basilic & Todd), Twilight Sparkle (Abomination & Todd)
SPROCKET & FAUCET (rats — but only casting humans, 2 of them, 15-25yrs, with interest or experience in puppetry) :: Rude but well meaning hindrances who live in the sub-floor beneath Faris’ apartment.
– Idols include: Steve Irwin. David Tenant. Cheese.
note: humans are welcome to apply for all fairy roles
ABOUT THE PRODUCTION:
- Faris Who Talks To Rats will be premiere at the Ottawa Fringe Festival, June 14th-24th 2018.
- Written and (to be) directed by Allan Mackey.
- Actors will need to have availability for rehearsals starting mid-April.
- Project is paid, via honorarium based on box office.
- Equity members welcome, provided willingness to work under Equity Festival Agreement.
- Questions can be directed to mackey©theatreunderground•com
- To apply: Fill out the audition form: AUDITION FORM